Creating Provisioning Templates for Satellite

Latest response

We have been Kickstart building systems in our environment for some time now but are transitioning to use Satellite 6 for provisioning.

We are currently doing lots of custom directory creation, permissions, and file copies in the %post section of our existing Kickstart builds.

There does not appear to be a way to just point at an existing Kickstart file and import or build with it like there appeared to be in Satellite 5 documentation I've seen.

I see that I need to create a partition table and then use the PXELinux, provision, finish, and user_data provisioning templates. It looks like I need to split my Kickstart file between these four provisioning templates and the partition table. There doesn't appear to be a way to just extract content from a Kickstart file to populate the templates and partition table.

Everything I am seeing in the documentation talks about using these templates to build but there is nothing I can find on creating custom templates themselves. The provision template has the most code in it and is essentially useless to me.

I have almost no experience with Puppet.

What I am looking for and having absolutely no success finding are very fleshed out practical examples of each of these templates and the partition table so I can figure out what should go in which template and how it should be written.

Unless, of course, there really is some simple way to provision with existing Kickstart files.

Help!

Responses