CentOS channels on Satellite

Latest response

Hello,

Today I have Satellite v5.5 for my RHEL systems and a Spacewalk v1.8 for my CentOS systems. I'd like to manage all my machines in one place.

As a test I added Cent repos and channels for 5, 6 & 7 to my Satellite. I can make activation keys, bootstrap and patch CentOS test machines just like they were on a Spacewalk server; no errors. I can't think of any reason this would not work in the first place.

Anyone else doing this?
Anyone know of any gotchas or pitfalls to consolidating?

I know that RH will not provide any support for the Cent channels or help fix any damage that may somehow come from this; that is a given.

Being overdue to upgrade my Satellite to a supported version of 5 (or even 6.x) I'm tempted to make a single machine big enough to handle all my servers. I don't expect to have Cent and RHEL systems co-existing in the same channels etc. I probably still have the same amount of config to do in the setup, but this gives me fewer interfaces and the spacewalk-report's are single source.

I opened a support case on the topic and the reply was:
"From the case description I understand that you want to manage CentOS system via Satellite 6. I would like to inform you that Red Hat officially does not support this. However, you can manage this as I have seen this in community discussion. You can sync third party repository and manage content for this. Having said that any issue identified at centos will not covered and troubleshoot by Red Hat."

Responses