RHEL 7, switch to graphical session?

Latest response

Alright dumb question - after kickstarting a workstation with the 'text' option, I end up with a non-X workstation. The kickstart also specifies "Server with GUI" which pulls in GNOME. After some updates and whatnot, I executed:

systemctl enable graphical.target --force

Rebooted.
Still no X.

Before I monkey around anymore, is there something I missed?

Thanks!

Responses

Hello Kodiak,

What is the command output of:
systemctl get-default

If it is different from
graphical.target

systemctl set-default graphical.target

Then reboot to see if it has fixed your issue.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Jan,
Apologies, yes the default is in fact graphical.target, which is why I'm so confused as to why it still boots to a text session.

$ systemctl get-default
graphical.target

Thanks!

Hi Kodiak,

What errors do you get when running?
systemctl isolate graphical.target

Do you see errors in /var/log/messages?

Just like you I am new to RHEL 7

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Jan,
Ah yes, great lead - running that command logs this error:

systemd: Cannot add dependency job for unit display-manager.service, ignoring: Unit display-manager.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

Well that's something to go on! I'll start researching that issue.

Thanks again!

This was a good lesson in "Always check for the obvious before digging much deeper":
The kickstart had '@Server with GUI', but none of those packages were installed!
Now I have to figure out why the Kickstart failed partially and non-obviously...

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the spaces between words in the group name:

%packages --ignoremissing
@Server with GUI
@core
@emacs
krb5-devel

Thoughts?

I've substituted:
'@Server with GUI'
with:
'@^graphical-server-environment'
The install is underway now and seems to be chugging along much better now.

Hi Kodiak, using spaces in group/environment names should be possible in the %packages section.

Looking at the examples you provided it seems that originally, you forgot the '^' character in the environment definition. That's why it failed.

@Server with GUI is syntax for specifying a group, and no group with that name exists. @^Server with GUI is the proper syntax for an environment, and should work fine. @^graphical-server-environment should also work fine.

Also, the Kickstart failed non-obviously because you used the --ignoremissing option for the %packages section. If you don't use this option, you'll get an error if you specify a non-existent package, group or environment.

not enough detail on what was done to fix the problem.

Hi, So what was the solution to the above mentioned problem after all? I have almost similar issue, /var/log/display shows: Failed to get current display configuration state: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.gnome.Mutter.DisplayConfig" does not exist

I was also facing the same issue with RHEL 7.7 VM, but it got resolved by referring article https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5238..now i am able to get default GUI login with RHEL VM