How does JON intersect JBoss EAP 6 "Domain Mode"?

Latest response

Could anyone tell me if there are any feature matrixes for JON that I could compare with a features matrix for JBoss EAP mode? I am the lead JBoss admin for a small shop with limited resources in terms of bodies, time, and budget, and although I am familiar with administering JBoss EAP 5.1.2, I do not have any experience, and no training, with JBoss 6.3. We recently attempted to upgrade to 6.3, and had the servers working in clustered mode using static TCP/IP clusters, but again due to time and budget constraints, the development team was unable to successfully migrate their code to 6.3 and so we've put off migrating until April 2015 time frame. This is great as it gives us extra time to plan, but given that the team for designing and implementing the JBoss solution is very small, we need to make a decision whether to

a) implement JON and stick with standalone mode for the time Spring deadline, or
b) Implement (and learn how to administer) EAP 6.3 Domain mode, and forego implementing JON until a later date.

I understand that there is a lot of overlap between JON and JBoss EAP 6.* Domain mode in terms of functionality, but I would be very interested in hearing other administrators opinions on these two choices.

Specifically, is there anything JON buys me in terms of fucntionality that I can't get from Domain mode in EAP, and vice versa? I understand with JON that I can monitor more products than Just EAP, for example, as well as do code deployments.

thanks for your insights,
Bill

Responses