So I was tinkering around with a couple of server and decided to upgrade my glusterfs cluster to 6.6. It complained about some dependency problems which I sort of ignored, and added exclude commands to my yum repo's. Everything seemed to work fine. Afterwards I noticed that CTDB stopped working which I traced back to /usr/sbin/smbd -
PANIC (pid 24558): Could not init smbd's messaging context.
BACKTRACE: 6 stack frames:
#0 /usr/sbin/smbd(log_stack_trace+0x1a) [0x7f9f0563266a]
#1 /usr/sbin/smbd(smb_panic+0x2b) [0x7f9f0563273b]
#2 /usr/sbin/smbd(+0x189a7f) [0x7f9f05391a7f]
#3 /usr/sbin/smbd(main+0x4ab) [0x7f9f0589f69b]
#4 /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd) [0x7f9f01d7dd5d]
#5 /usr/sbin/smbd(+0xf4d59) [0x7f9f052fcd59]
dumping core in /var/log/samba/cores/smbd
Aborted (core dumped)
I'm using the Gluster repo's which can be found: http://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/RHEL/epel-6/x86_64/
Finally, I decided to remove the gluster version I was running, removed the excusions on yum and installed all of the new cluster 3.6 packages. Now /usr/sbin/smbd worked again...
So... I'm assuming that once Gluster get off their butt and update the repo to 3.6 then all of these problems with disappear!
Hope this helps someone!