Intelligently autoconfiguring LACP/802.3ad?

Latest response

Hello, everyone --

I was wondering if it's possible for a host to determine which network interfaces are supposed to be included in a LACP bond without sniffing for LACPDUs on each interface.

Let me add a little bit more detail around the scenario that I'm thinking about.

Let's say that I have a host with interfaces eth[0123], and all four interfaces are plugged into a switch. On the switch, the switchports that eth0 and eth1 are plugged into are configured with (Cisco syntax) "channel-group X mode active", but eth2 and eth3 are not in a port-channel. Is it possible, without sniffing frames off each interface, for the host to "see" that eth0 and eth1 should be configured as a bond with 802.3ad/LACP while eth2 and eth3 should be configured individually? Has anyone done this before?

If possible, I'd like to do this at the tail-end of a Kickstart, or maybe from a Puppet-script.

I'm considering lumping all of the interfaces into a bond, then looking at /proc/net/bonding/bond0 to see which interfaces aren't getting along with the rest of them, and pulling the dissidents out. But that seems clunky and I wanted to see if anyone had done anything like this before.

Thanks for your help!
-joe.-

Responses