- A guest is configured internally to use one or more 802.1q vlan tags
- The host is configured (via libvirt) to place the guest's traffic on an 802.1q vlan under another tag
The intention is that guest traffic appear on the physical network as QinQ / 802.1ad double tagged, with the inner tag supplied by the guest, and the outer tag supplied by the host.
This works as expected when the guest uses virtio-net virtual NICs which are connected to the physical network via a bridge on the host.
- This does not work when the guest uses an SR-IOV Virtual Function of the host's NIC passed through to it.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5 guest
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5 host
- kvm based virtualization
- Intel 82599 based SR-IOV capable NIC (
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase, tools, and much more.