- VMware ESX hosts lost connectivity to backend disk
- When attempting to restart a RHEL 6.1 virtual machine, was presented with the following error at the console in the vSphere client:
/dev/mapper/system-root contains a file system with errors, check foreced. /dev/mapper/system-root: Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found. /dev/mapper/system-root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
- Recieve the following text asking to enter the root password:
Give root password for maintenance (or type Control-D to continue):
- When entering the password, every second character in the root password triggers a return(enter) and the cursor drops down to the next line item
- Because of this, unable to run fsck
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase of over 48,000 articles and solutions.