In certain configurations where the boot loader on IBM Z series needs to be instructed to utilize a very large list of DASDs to accommodate a huge root file system the loader's maximum allowed parameter line length of 896 bytes can be exceeded.
When that happens, validating the zipl.conf file will result in an error message:
# zipl Error: The length of the parameters line (### bytes) exceeds the allowed maximum (896 bytes)
On RHEL 7 and newer versions it is possible to specify multiple DASDs either by
- specifying the parameter multiple times,
- or using a comma separated list of bus IDs.,
- or specifying a range of DASDs, by specifying the first and the last bus ID.
However on RHEL 6 the comma separated list of bus IDs, or a range of DASDs by specifying the first and the last bus ID is not available. Each DASD must be specified explicitely on RHEL 6.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- IBM z Series (s390x architecture)
- Configuration with a very large list of DASD storage that needs to be specifid in zipl.conf
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase, tools, and much more.