# cp -pfails to preserve timestamps when copying to SMBv2.x share for non-empty files.
- mtime is not preserved when copying to SMB2 share, but is for SMB.
- mtime and atime is not preserved when copying to SMB2 share, but is for SMB.
- This behavior is seen when copying to both a Samba and Windows SMB server.
- Copying to newer versions of Windows correctly reports mtime.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8
- SMBv2.x and SMBv3.x
- SMB server
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase of over 48,000 articles and solutions.