- On RHEL 7.4 kernel (kernel-3.10.0-693.el7) or higher, a file system can not be mounted.
- The affected Filesystem has been online resized (grow) previously with resize2fs, and after some time, it's size has been reduced (FS Shrink).
# dmesgoutput after the mount attempt shows: "EXT4-fs
: first meta block group too large: X (group descriptor block count Y)".
- The file system can be mounted when booting into a pre-RHEL 7.4 kernel.
- Repairing the file system does not allow the file system to be mounted when booting into RHEL 7.4 kernel or higher.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (After kernel-3.10.0-693.el7)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 is unaffected.
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase, tools, and much more.