- Hotplugging external usb hard drive fails for root user
- In the case of a standard user login, when I plug a USB hard drive, it gets automatically mounted and an icon appears on the desktop. However for some reason if I am logged in as root this doesn't happen.
- When I log in as a normal user, the gnome-volume-manager is running, but when I log in as root user it is not running even though it is in the session startup list
- I tried to run gnome-volume-manager manually and it failed to start.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.9
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0
- kernel 2.6.18-8.el5
- Gnome desktop
- Logged in as root user
- USB hard drive plugged in.
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase, tools, and much more.