- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV) 3.1
- RHEV has been upgraded to 3.1 and new storage domains that have been created are version type V3. Is it possible to upgrade the existing storage to this new version?
- There are still a few storage domains on V1. Is there a way to upgrade those to V3?
Why upgrade to V3 storage?
V3 storage is required for some of the new RHEV 3.1 features such as live snapshots. For more information, please reference section 7.3. Storage Metadata Versions in Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization in the Admin Guide. V3 also makes use of the new SANLock feature to acquire the SPM resource and the volume resources.
- This document assumes the RHEV-M 3.0 to RHEV-M 3.1.1 upgrade has been completed as per the procedure described in How are RHEV upgrades/migrations performed and supported?.
- Hosts (Hypervisors) must be running the latest RHEV-H or RHEL 6.3+ in order to use V3 storage metadata.
- Storage domain upgrading can now be done online but it is always a good idea to have important data backed up (this includes mission-critical virtual machines). Red Hat always recommends making a backup of the RHEV database prior to upgrading the storage metadata.
The following steps will automatically upgrade the metadata for a storage domain:
- Upgrade each host one by one to the latest version. Do this by placing 1 host into Maintenance mode, click the Upgrade button for that host or log into the host and run
yum update, reboot the host, then reactivate the host once it has fully booted. Continue until all hosts are upgraded.
- Once all hosts in a cluster are upgraded, click edit on the Cluster properties and change the compatibility mode to 3.1. Click "Ok".
- Then, continue the process with any additional clusters in the Data Center.
- Once all of the clusters in a Data Center are upgraded to 3.1 compatibility, the storage should automatically upgrade to V3.
This solution is part of Red Hat’s fast-track publication program, providing a huge library of solutions that Red Hat engineers have created while supporting our customers. To give you the knowledge you need the instant it becomes available, these articles may be presented in a raw and unedited form.