- We have a DNS alias for an original server, which we want to use as the name for our directory server.
We have done this with RHDS8 and RHDS9:
# host cname cname.example.com is an alias for hostname.example.com hostname.example.com address 192.168.1.21 # host 192.168.1.21 220.127.116.11.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer hostname.example.com.
However, with the current setup-ds-admin.pl for RHDS10 (and now also for RHDS9), setup fails with the following message:
[15/10/20:11:08:53] - [Setup] Info Creating directory server . . . [15/10/20:11:08:53] - [Setup] Info Hostname 'cname.example.com' is valid, but none of the IP addresses resolve back to cname.example.com [15/10/20:11:08:53] - [Setup] Info - address 192.168.1.21 resolves to host hostname.example.com [15/10/20:11:08:53] - [Setup] Fatal Error: Could not create directory server instance 'instance'. [15/10/20:11:08:53] - [Setup] Fatal Exiting . . .
This wasn't the case with RHDS8 and probably earlier versions of RHDS9, we managed to install fine with just a server CNAME alias in DNS.
- Vanilla install of RHDS 10 using setup-ds-admin.pl, but using the  Custom option and setting the machine name to the alias instead of the hostname.
- This occurs always, both on current RHDS10 install and RHDS9 install with latest software updates. We need this fixed at least for RHDS10.
- Red Hat Directory Server (RHDS) 9.1 and 10.0
- Package 389-ds-base version 18.104.22.168-34 or higher
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase, tools, and much more.