- Red Hat Virtualization 4
- How to convert preallocated disks to thin provisioned disks?
- Is there an option in RHEV-M GUI to convert preallocated disks to thin provisioned disks?
- There isn't any direct option in RHEV-M to convert preallocated disks to thin provisioned disks.
- A Feature Request is filed in the bugzilla 977778
- recommended Clone the VM with preallocated disks. This will create a clone with all disk thin-provisioned.
- Create an additional thin provisioned image of the required size, attach it to the VM, and use dd or a similar command to copy the contents of the preallocated disk to the preallocated disk from within the VM. The original disk can be removed from the VM.
- Red Hat Virtualization
This solution is part of Red Hat’s fast-track publication program, providing a huge library of solutions that Red Hat engineers have created while supporting our customers. To give you the knowledge you need the instant it becomes available, these articles may be presented in a raw and unedited form.