- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1
- Any server capable of "HPC Mode"
- When enabling "HPC mode" in the BIOS you will experience a kernel panic under Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1
- Disable "HPC mode" in the BIOS
- This issue will be fixed in a future release
- The panic is caused in the cpufreq subsystem on systems where intermediate CPU performance states are not reported to the OS. Processor performance states (P-states) are part of the processor architecture that allow the processor to switch between different voltages and operating frequencies to control power consumption.
This solution is part of Red Hat’s fast-track publication program, providing a huge library of solutions that Red Hat engineers have created while supporting our customers. To give you the knowledge you need the instant it becomes available, these articles may be presented in a raw and unedited form.