Chapter 9. Rebooting the environment
A situation might occur where you need to reboot the environment. For example, when you might need to modify the physical servers, or you might need to recover from a power outage. In this situation, it is important to ensure that your Ceph Storage nodes boot correctly.
Boot the nodes in the following order:
- Boot all Ceph Monitor nodes first - This ensures the Ceph Monitor service is active in your high availability cluster. By default, the Ceph Monitor service is installed on the Controller node. If the Ceph Monitor is separate from the Controller in a custom role, make sure this custom Ceph Monitor role is active.
- Boot all Ceph Storage nodes - This ensures the Ceph OSD cluster can connect to the active Ceph Monitor cluster on the Controller nodes.
9.1. Rebooting a Ceph Storage (OSD) cluster
The following procedure reboots a cluster of Ceph Storage (OSD) nodes.
Log in to a Ceph MON or Controller node and disable Ceph Storage cluster rebalancing temporarily:
$ sudo ceph osd set noout $ sudo ceph osd set norebalance
- Select the first Ceph Storage node to reboot and log into it.
Reboot the node:
$ sudo reboot
- Wait until the node boots.
Log in to a Ceph MON or Controller node and check the cluster status:
$ sudo ceph -s
Check that the
pgsas normal (
- Log out of the Ceph MON or Controller node, reboot the next Ceph Storage node, and check its status. Repeat this process until you have rebooted all Ceph storage nodes.
When complete, log into a Ceph MON or Controller node and enable cluster rebalancing again:
$ sudo ceph osd unset noout $ sudo ceph osd unset norebalance
Perform a final status check to verify the cluster reports
$ sudo ceph status
If a situation occurs where all overcloud nodes boot at the same time, the Ceph OSD services might not start correctly on the Ceph Storage nodes. In this situation, reboot the Ceph Storage OSDs so they can connect to the Ceph Monitor service.
HEALTH_OK status of the Ceph Storage node cluster with the following command:
$ sudo ceph status