What type of installation automation method is supported by RedHat?

Posted on

My company got an order for a couple of dozens of Dell servers (R760) with various cards (Frame grabbers, Serial card and GPIO, GPU). Total of four configurations - each with slightly different settings (The differences are mostly static IP addresses and one configuration has software RAID).

I'd like to automate the installation process due to the large amount of PCs. My first thought was to clone an image with CloneZilla, but I'd like to use official methods that are supported by RedHat.
Ideally, I'd like to create a flash drive that would just install with all settings preloaded. All the settings for each configuration are identical except for the hostname.

I have the following issues:
1. RAID. Some PCS come with a 2TB for the OS and another 8TB drives that are required to be added into a RAID0 array. The order in which the drives are listed is not persistent. Therefore if I'll write in the kickstart file to install the OS into /dev/nvme0n1 and to build the RAID out of /dev/nvme1n1.../dev/nvme8n1 There is no guarantee that the 2TB drive would be /dev/nvme0n1. Can you suggest a solution for this issue?

1. Registration. Ideally I'd like to install once, update the packages and then replicate. Otherwise, I'd need to activate each installation in order to download updates. While eventually each PC will be activated, it will take around 2~3 months from the installation to when the systems are deployed, so we'd prefer to activate the license as close as possible to when the systems are sold to the end customer. Is it possible to use a single license for updating each system, then un-registering it and installing the next one or this may trigger RedHat as suspicious activity?

Responses