NVIDIA drivers not working on RHEL 8.8 after applying DISA STIG

Posted on

Hello,

I'm having some trouble getting the NVIDIA drivers working properly on RHEL 8.8 after applying STIG policies.

The NVIDIA drivers are installed with the following command:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.86.05.run --dkms -X -s

Running the nvidia-smi command as a user shows that driver version 535.86.05 and CUDA version 12.2 are installed.

These are the commands I'm using to apply STIG policies using OpenSCAP.

sudo oscap xccdf eval --fetch-remote-resources --profile xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_profile_stig --results-arf /tmp/arf.xml --report /var/www/html/report.html /usr/share/xml/scap/ssg/content/ssg-rhel8-ds.xml
sudo oscap xccdf generate fix --fetch-remote-resources --fix-type bash --result-id "" /tmp/arf.xml > /tmp/stig-fix.sh
sudo /tmp/stig-fix.sh
sudo reboot

After these are applied, Running nvidia-smi as a user returns "-bash: /usr/bin/nvidia-smi: Operation not permitted"

Switching to the root user (using 'su'), this is the new error from nvidia-smi

NVIDIA-SMI couldn't find libnvidia-ml.so library in your system. Please make sure that the NVIDIA Display Driver is properly installed and present in your system.
Please also try adding directory that contains libnvidia-ml.so to your system PATH.

I have tried to fix this by re-installing the NVIDIA drivers. This is the command I used, and the new error I get:

[root@localhost ~]# ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.86.05.run --dkms -X -s --tmpdir 
ERROR: An error occurred while performing the step: "Building kernel modules". See /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for details.

ERROR: An error occurred while performing the step: "Checking to see whether the nvidia-uvm kernel module was successfully built". See
       /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for details.

ERROR: The nvidia-uvm kernel module was not created.

ERROR: The nvidia-uvm kernel module failed to build. This kernel module is required for the proper operation of CUDA. If you do not need to use CUDA, you can
       try to install this driver package again with the '--no-unified-memory' option.

ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems
       in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

Responses