Tools for causing troubleshoot-able boot failures?

Posted on

A couple days before last Monday I was asked asked to teach a class on troubleshooting boot problems for some new-hires in our support organization. I waited til the last minute to prepare and basically found myself writing a breakboot script in the 4 hours before midnight on the night before.

The class went well. Had so much fun that I spent 8 more hours this past Sunday adding content to my breakboot script (including lessons for each exercise, i.e. bullet point learnings to take away from each one) and gave another evening workshop last night.

I'm sure with more time I can come up with more ideas for exercises, but I'm just one person with limited experiences. I'd love to hear from some of you sysadmins out in the field -- if you have any ideas for instructive boot problem exercises, please share! Or if you've seen a similar project before, please share that too. (I know in our RHEL5 classes we used to have some troubleshooting breakage scripts ... I need to dredge those up from my old archives....)

Cheers.

Responses