Trying to install Tomcat6

Latest response

Hi everyone,

I haven't used RH in a while.  The last few years I have been using debian and gentoo.  Now that I want to come back to RH, I see that much has changed.  So, I am in the process of evaluating RH Enterprise v6.

I am trying to install tomcat6, using yum (I try to stick with the distro packages when and where possible).

I did this:

yum install tomcat*

and it installed these packages:

tomcat6-el-2.1-api-6.0.24-36.el6_2.noarch
tomcat6-jsp-2.1-api-6.0.24-36.el6_2.noarch
tomcatjss-2.1.0-2.el6.noarch
tomcat6-servlet-2.5-api-6.0.24-36.el6_2.noarch
tomcat6-6.0.24-36.el6_2.noarch
tomcat6-lib-6.0.24-36.el6_2.noarch

I have these java packages installed:

java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-29.1.el6.x86_64
tzdata-java-2012b-3.el6.noarch
java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-1.43.1.10.6.el6_2.x86_64
java_cup-0.10k-5.el6.x86_64

And my alternatives:

*+ 1           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java
   2           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-gcj/bin/java

I start the service like so:  /etc/init.d/tomcat6 start

No complaints.

I do a netstat:

tcp        0      0 :::8080                     :::*                        LISTEN      9629/java

(an nmap from another machine on the network also shows port 8080 open)

I have shutdown my firewall (for testing purposes)

So it looks like everything is on beam, but whenever I point my browser to it I get a blank screen (firefox), a file not found error (konqueror) and a invalid address error (Opera).  From the localhost, I am using http://localhost:8080 or http://127.0.0.1:8080, and the IP address from another computer on the network.  Clearly it is not working.

There are no errors in the catalina log files.

This has always been a simple affair, but I've blown several hours now trying to figure out what has gone wrong.  I cannot find any recent documentation on how to install this (using distro packages).  All I could find from RH was for Enterprise v4, and the documentation I found for centOS and other distros haven't helped.

Can someone please clue me in?

Thank you.

G

Responses

Okay... I backed out and installed tomcat outside of the package manager (rpm/yum), and it works fine... so, again, I ask:  What the heck is going on?

Using the package manager should be easier than downloading and unpacking tarballs....  especially since you pay RH the big bucks for Enterprise....

If anyone has any insight on this issue, I'd appreciate it, because I'd much rather stick with the distro's packaging.

Thanks again,

G