Getting Windows IE to prompt for the XAMP plugin install

Latest response

I'll start with the obvious I *hate* IE. That said, I've been working with the RHEV3 Beta, and love having an alternative to VMWare.

I have gotten the Admin portal to work once by flailing with IE/trusted sites/XAMP permissions for hours, but frankly don't know what twist got it to prompt for the XAMP install.

Since then, I've tried on 4 different machines to get the install to work with no luck - various combinations of XP/WIN7 with IE7/8/9.

Per documentation I'm setting the RHEVM server site as trusted, enabling XAMP download & installs - obviously I'm missing something, and I hope someone here knows the trick.

TAT

Responses

Note the instructions for installin the WPFClient certificate, these are very important:

To connect to Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager administration portal
  1. Open a web browser and navigate to https://demo.redhat.com:8443/RHEVManager.
  2. If this is your first time connecting to the administration portal, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager will issue security certificates for your browser. Click the link labeled this certificate to trust the ca.cer certificate. A pop-up displays, click Open to launch the Certificate dialog. Click Install Certificate and select to place the certificate in Trusted Root Certification Authorities store.
  3. Back on the browser screen, click the link labeled here and follow the prompts to install the RHEV-GUI-CertificateInstaller executable. A bar displays at the bottom of the browser again, this time click Run. Note that the actual certificate installation is preceded by an ActiveX installation.
    When complete, a new link labeled here appears. Click on it to reload the administration portal.
  4. The portal login screen displays. Enter the administrator's User Name and Password that you provided during installation, and ensure that your domain is set to Internal. Click Login.

That the next administrator portal is going to be supported from Firefox on top of RHEL.

Even now you can make do without Windows. This is if you are willing to use the REST API to perform the data center configuration. Then for the VM life cycle management you can use the Power User Portal (This includes creation of VMs and Templates)