Include ATOP in RHEL7

Latest response

It whould be nice to include atop as an optional package in RHEL7, see http://www.atoptool.nl:

Atop is an ASCII full-screen performance monitor that is capable of reporting the activity of all processes (even if processes have finished during the interval), daily logging of system and process activity for long-term analysis, highlighting overloaded system resources by using colors, etc. At regular intervals, it shows system-level activity related to the CPU, memory, swap, disks, and network layers, and for every active process it shows the CPU utilization, the memory growth, priority, username, state, and exit code.

Atop and atopsar have major advantages compared to other performance-monitors like sysstat/vmstat/iostat/mpstat.

Responses

Do you see the useage of these tools more for instantaneous perfomance view (similar to top/iostat) or for historical data collection (similar to sar)?

If we provided an alternate method for historical performance data collection that allowed data consolidation across multiple hosts - would that be preferable over a single host solution?

For in-depth research in historical and realtime data atop gives the best overview. Personally I don't bother it's a single host solution, since other monitoring tools can be used for historical performance data collection (ie: nagios/zabbix/zenoss/etc.).

In my view, having a centralised system (collecting data from many hosts) with feaures similar to atop would be greatly desired. This is far superior to what is achieved with sar and related tools currently available in RHEL.

I have to use epel channel for this tool. It's very nice if atop is in RH channel.