RHEL (5.7 or 6.1) on an SSD in a laptop will not boot after install

Latest response

I have recently started working with RHEL (in the last 6 months), and decided I should take some preparations, and see about getting my certification.  I bought a book to get started, and went to install RHEL on my laptop.   I also got an SSD (mostly for curiosity), and installed it in the laptop.  The laptop is a Lenovo T60P.  I installed RHEL on the machine while I waited for the SSD to arrive, and everything worked just fine.  The problem is that when the SSD arrived, and I installed it, it will not boot! 

When the installer finishes, it has the first reboot, and then finishes the install process.  This works just fine.  The machine is usable, and I can log in, and everything.  When I reboot the machine after that, I get the grub shell, and nothing else.  At that shell, if I do a "root hd0,<tab>", I get the two partitions I created.  One is the boot partition, and the other is the LVM partition.  The boot partition was EXT4, and the LVM had 3 partitions (/, /home, and swap) as EXT4, and swap.  The problem is that they both show up as Filesystem type unknown.  They do have the correct partition types (83, and 8e).  I cannot boot the machine.  Nothing I do seems to help. 

I tried to install the /boot partition as EXT3, and that seemed to help, but I still could not boot all the way.  It told me that it could not find the other partitions (even if they were EXT3). 

I have tried many combinations of the install, and cannot find a way to get it to work.  I even did the partition on a boundry thing that the RedHat install guide talks about for SSDs. 

I have searched for issues with SSDs and lenovo, SSDs and RedHat, and SSDs and EXT4, but I have found no others that have had this issue.  I am sure there are others, and can only imagine that I am not using the correct search terms, or something, but I am getting frustrated.  Has anyone run into this issue?  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? 

I have only the free self-supported trial version, so I cannot really rely on support. 

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Jon

Responses