up2date -i nagios-plugins-*; or, how to exclude a package from just one particular repository in up2date?

Latest response

With yum on e.g. CentOS 5, I can put custom exclude= lines in to a specific repository configuration, which still allows yum to get those packages from other repositories.

On my RHEL4 ES system using up2date, however, it seems that the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file only allows excluding packages entirely (from all repositories); and it seems to not care about what I put in the repository configuration files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ 

Here's my specific problem: I inherited this system from a previous sysadmin, and as I found it, the up2date sources configuration file includes the dag apt repository (yum dag http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/$ARCH/dag), and the epel repository(yum EPEL http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/4/$ARCH).

Here's what happens when I try to install nagios-plugins, etc using up2date:

# up2date -i nagios-plugins{,-disk,-mysql,-load,-dns}
Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-i386-es-4...
Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: dag...
Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: EPEL...
Fetching rpm headers...
########################################
Name                                    Version              Rel               Arch
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nagios-plugins                          1.4.15              2.el4.rf            i386  
nagios-plugins-disk                     1.4.15              2.el4               i386  
nagios-plugins-dns                      1.4.15              2.el4               i386  
nagios-plugins-load                     1.4.15              2.el4               i386  
nagios-plugins-mysql                    1.4.15              2.el4               i386  

Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...

Downloading headers to solve dependencies...
#######################################
#######################################
There was a package dependency problem. The message was:

Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
nagios-plugins-disk-1.4.15-2.el4         requires nagios-plugins = 1.4.15-2.el4 
nagios-plugins-dns-1.4.15-2.el4          requires nagios-plugins = 1.4.15-2.el4 
nagios-plugins-load-1.4.15-2.el4         requires nagios-plugins = 1.4.15-2.el4 
nagios-plugins-mysql-1.4.15-2.el4        requires nagios-plugins = 1.4.15-2.el4 

The following packages were added to your selection to satisfy dependencies:
Package                                Required by
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I notice that the 'nagios-plugins' package seems to come from one repository (since it has the .rf extension), while the rest of the 'nagios-plugins-*' packages seem to come from a different repository, and I guess this is why up2date is giving the error about an unresolvable chain of dependencies.

So, two questions I guess:

1. as above, how to configure up2date to block certain packages / package wildcards from only certain repositories, like the yum exclude= and includepkgs= directives (which I do already have in the yum.repos.d/ config files, and which up2date doesn't respect); and

2. what is the "right" way to configure up2date, repositories, etc, so that the nagios-plugins and nagios-plugins-* packages can be resolved correctly?

Thank you!!!!!
-Jay

Responses