Updated boot loader (GRUB)

Latest response

I regard "/boot" partitions as an abomination(*), and wish to avoid using them (and have done so very successfully for many years now).  But I also want to make / an LVM2 volume in the future...and the archaic version of GRUB in RHEL 6.1 can't handle that.  I saw GRUB 2.0 as a desired feature for Fedora-mumble (whatever is being developed right now), but it hasn't been commited yet.  This needs to be a priority.

*my mantra for several years has been to simplify, simplify, simplify...and that's hard to do when you have extra partitions rattling around, with different volume types (LVM vs. non-LVM) and sometimes different file system types. The OS should be installable on a single file system (/), with the full features of the kernel supported (e.g. LVM, software RAID-1 if needed--though we always use hardware for RAID).  Especially now in the days of virtualization when adding new PVs is trivial.

Responses

Sounds like this is already in the works as Fedora is working on this for Fedora 16.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Grub2

Hi

This will move /boot to boot partition [1]. The other reason being, poor support for encyrpted /boot ( assuming /boot resides on /, and / is encrypted ) .

On a side note, /boot on a different partition allows one to create a resuce mode which will most likely work even when / is borked.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_Boot_partition

Cheers

My only traditional partition is /boot and I always make this ext3 for better mult-distro support especially for any recovery tools like Ultimate Boot CD. Everything else is under LVM.

I tend to keep /boot as ext2 because I know the other filesystems are still being actively developed. I really don't want my /boot data fiddled with. Given the problems in the updates I've seen so far, the simple answer is to leave it simple.

I don't like single partition systems as users and their applications tend to junk up the system. We tend to install a strongly divided "this is the OS, this is your application" layout.

For RH7 I want to be able to build my filesystems like I want, with options for the different stable filesystem types and the freedom *not* to have to use some "advanced" filesystem type.

Leam

Yep agreed.

In general, regardless of the boot loader used, it should have full LVM support on its own (perhaps even including VxVM). That way, the kernel can be in LVM without tricks.

I thought GRUB2 was going to be in RHEL6, but i guess it's too new for that.