Automated Installations of RHEL 7.9 though USB on ThinkStation P340T Workstation

Latest response

Hello there,

I have been trying to install RHEL 7.9 Where I am booting from the USB and at the boot prompt modifying the kernal by pressing "e"" key to amend the boot options with the location of the kickstart file. The kickstart file from an HTTP server, so to add the "ks=http://..../ks.cfg" boot option.

We have been using this method for many years with no issues until we switched to lenovo P340T Workstation. It gives the Dracut error message is

"Failed to start media check-in. /dev/sdb write-protected, mounting read-only" ...this seems like problem with my USB

Responses

Hi "Sk De"

A few things to check...

Make sure you are using the Binary DVD, and not a plain boot DVD to make this USB thumb-drive to install from. EXCEPTION: you can use a plain boot-DVD provided you have properly staged the rpms and cited this in your kickstart and do a install that uses web-based repositories where you have the DVD served on a website your system can "see".

Next, please make sure that the iso file you used to create your media passes a sha256sum. You can compare the output of the sha256sum you run against the iso file to what is listed where you originally downloaded the file from on access.redhat.com. Some folks do not do this, but since you ran into this issue, it is worth double-checking. Please see this link to double-check things. Also, this article covers this too.

Next, compare or revisit this documentation on making media to install to a USB drive, it covers the procedure to make media not only just for Linux, but the other non-Linux operating system.

The USB drive being read-only is fine, those that do installs to a kickstart from a plastic DVD - the DVD is not written back to, so the install media being read-only should not be a problem.

Now there's a possibility the drive you've "mentioned" in your kickstart may differ from the system you're installing on. Here's an example, I do kickstarts often with normal hard drives, and when we started getting systems with either nvme drives (a form of an ssd), then I had to make an adjustment for the kickstarts for nvme drives.

One thing you can do to determine if that issue in the last paragraph (in principle, a drive different from what your kickstart mentions), is to do a one-time temporary-to-be-rebuilt plain vanilla install from the media itself without a kickstart, just as a temporary test to see what "drive" the system uses. Then compare the drive "seen" during a normal graphical non-kickstart load and examine that drive you "see with a graphical non-kickstart load with the kickstart you have. Examine the partitioning area of the kickstart and compare carefully. I've had to do this on occasion as a temporary build for the purpose of determine the drive type the OS load sees so I can make the needed adjustment in my kickstart.

IMPORTANT: Some systems came to us with an additional internal drive that was like a small flash media within the chassis of the system itself, and in some cases, looked like a small SDHC memory module that you could pop-out. Additionally examine your system for that, because we've had this from various vendors.

Let us know how this goes,

Regards,
RJ