DELL 5490 Laptop freezing on RHEL 8.x

Latest response

Hi, Colleagues!
I have very strange problem which I don't know how to debug and solve.
My laptop DELL 5490 freezes from time to time during display off (after session locking), going to sleep mode or hibernating (after lid closing).
Under term "freeze" I mean CPU heating with maximum fan speed and no reaction to any key or short power button press. The laptop may be turned off only by long press to power button.
OS: Installed RHEL from 8.0 after upgraded to 8.3, encrypted LVM,
Display Manager: Gnome on Wayland. On Xorg the same issue.
Please help to identify the problem and solve it!
Thanks

Responses

Hi Vitaliy,

What you describe might be related to an incompatibility of the open source nouveau drivers with your NVIDIA GPU. :)

I suggest that you install the proprietary NVIDIA drivers, which solves such problems in many cases. First disable Secure
Boot in the BIOS, and then install the NVIDIA drivers being provided by RPM Fusion. Just follow the instructions below :

sudo dnf install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-8.noarch.rpm

sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-8.noarch.rpm
sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-8.noarch.rpm

sudo dnf upgrade

sudo dnf install egl-wayland kernel-devel kernel-headers libglvnd-devel
sudo dnf install libva-vdpau-driver mesa-vulkan-drivers vulkan-loader vulkan-tools

sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-kmodsrc xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs
sudo dnf install nvidia-persistenced nvidia-settings xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs

sudo reboot

Regards,
Christian

Hi, Christian. Thanks for Your advice. Unfortunately I have only UHD Graphics 620 on my laptop (((

sudo lshw -C display
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: UHD Graphics 620
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: 07
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 resolution=1920,1080
       resources: irq:128 memory:ee000000-eeffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

Unfortunately, there is no any records in /var/log/messages during/after failure

You're welcome, Vitaliy ! That's unfortunate indeed. I recall having read that the suspend issue is
a known problem with (older) GNOME versions ... RHEL 8 Is based on Fedora 28/29, and hence
the best option would be to just avoid the "sleep mode" or hibernation at all (if even possible). :)

Regards,
Christian

By the way, I tried to disconnect docking station (that connects by USB-C) and laptop froze at the moment. Would you recommend some methods to debug? Thanks

Hi Vitaliy,

Unfortunately not - it can be "this and that" ... you may want to consider asking the DELL Support team. :)

Regards,
Christian