Installing Satellite on RHEL 8 issue

Latest response

Hi,
Very new to the Linux world and trying to come up to speed quick as our Linux guy has left and I am trying to pick up the pieces. We are looking to install Satellite on a new RHEL 8 VM. I am following the Quick Start guide (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_satellite/6.8/html-single/quick_start_guide/index) and when I get to the point of trying to actually doing a yum satellite install I get this:
yum install satellite
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:17:13 ago on Wed 18 Nov 2020 09:27:52 AM EST.
No match for argument: satellite
Error: Unable to find a match: satellite

Could someone tell me what repository the install is in? I have enabled these repositories:
subscription-manager repos --enable=rhel-8-for-x86_64-baseos-rpms \
--enable=rhel-8-for-x86_64-baseos-source-rpms \
--enable=rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms \
--enable=satellite-tools-6.8-for-rhel-8-x86_64-source-rpms \
--enable=ansible-2.9-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms

Thanks in advance!

Responses

Satellite cannot be (yet) installed on RHEL8.

In the Prerequisites section of the Quickstart guide you linked above, it states:

You must create a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 host before you can install and configure Satellite Server. Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 7.5 or later is supported. For more information about installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, see the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Installation Guide. 

Hi Eric,

Red Hat Satellite 6 installation on RHEL 8 is not supported.

You need to install RHEL 7.9 as your OS of choice to be able to install RH Satellite 6.8

source repos should not be enabled on a RH Satellite server.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Thank you! appreciate the quick responses. When I read 7.5 or later I figured anything above 7.5 not just 7.x releases.

Back to the drawing board!

Hi Eric,

Please use the very latest version of RHEL 7.x. I just built a satellite on RHEL 7.9 with what was the latest edition of Satellite in the last month or so. added, I recall from the Red Hat documentation it always says to use the latest possible version of RHEL (in this case 7.9 as I type this, see comments above on RHEL 8, not currently possible). Not using the latest edition of RHEL can all to often cause other issues.

Regards,
RJ