Which Red Hat to choose?

Latest response

Hello,
I'm rather new to Red Hat, but old with Linux and Fedora.
I wanna use Red Hat on my laptop ( it is nearly 10 years old). I use it rather as a developer but also for my university stuff.
I'm curious, which Red Hat Version to pick or if it is better to go with CentOS or Fedora.
There are Red hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server, Fedora Workstation, Fedora Server and CentOS 8/ CentOS Stream.
Which would fit my needs? I don't use it for company stuffs.

Thanks in advance.

Regard,
Farhan.

Responses

Hi Farhan,

This is very much opinion based ... it depends on your needs and skills. If you prefer to have the latest and greatest, while at the
same time being stable, choose Fedora. If you want to develop for RHEL, you can select the free (no-cost) Red Hat Developer
edition. If you want to use something being close to RHEL, you can install CentOS - or CentOS Stream in case you want to use
something considered a preview for what will become the next (point) release of RHEL - all options are reasonable choices ... :)

Regards,
Christian

I wanna stick to Red Hat. I have the Developer Edition: It is said, RHEL server would be included. Whereas it is too old, in vers. 7.8 . But if i follow the download link, i land on the rhel sitesubscription-manager repos --listrs. 8.2 Which one to choose then?

Regards

Hi Farhan,

If you want RHEL 7.8 -> https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/69/ver=/rhel---7/7.8/x86_64/product-software
If you want RHEL 8.2 -> https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/479/ver=/rhel---8/8.2/x86_64/product-software

"Which one to choose then?" Don't understand ... just download the boot.iso or the dvd.iso - and install the RHEL system.
I'd recommend to choose the "latest and greatest" RHEL 8 ... because RHEL 7 does not get feature updates any longer. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

when I pick the RHEL 8 version, there is no Server version. Look at the search bar. Choose Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server, and you can only choose 7.8 or 7.9 Beta. If you choose Version 8, it is the one without server in the name. "Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64" vs "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server"

Best Regards, Farhan.

Hi Farhan,

Red Hat has changed the "structure" ... Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64 includes all RHEL versions !
During the installation process you can select Server (default) or Workstation in the Anaconda installer. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Farhan,

In my blog post RHEL 8.2 Setup you can find a link to a slide-show that walks through the installation steps.
Slide number 10 gives you the screenshot of the Software Selection section within the Anaconda installer. :)

Regards,
Christian

For casual home user/students, I think server version would be too much. Currently I'm using Fedora Workstation 32. I don't know the difference between Fedora Server 32 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server. Home comes that scrolling up and down is super butter smooth on Fedora, but a bit laggy on RHEL? I assume that the stable Linux versions are also bloated- I had the same issue in Debian back then, as well.

Regard, Farhan.

Hi Farhan,

The difference between Fedora and RHEL ? Fedora provides more current package versions than RHEL, which
might be the reason for the performance difference. Fedora is considered a "test lab" for what later may land in
RHEL. This is valid for all variants of both systems, so if you want the latest and greatest, using Fedora is fine. :)

Regards,
Christian