Ansible Tower Update Satellite Inventory

Latest response

Ansible Tower 3.62, Satellite 6.5

We are running into problems with a Satellite Dynamic Inventory with Ansible Tower. Refreshing the Satellite inventory takes quite a long time. There is an option to refresh the inventory automatically which would be extremely helpful in provisioning, however that option is an 'inventory source' option, not a 'job template' option. The result is that enabling the inventory update will cause an lengthy delay any time any job template that references the inventory is run. This is un-tenable, as other jobs (that also use the Satellite inventory) queue up, and then those want to update the inventory and so on and so on.

It occurs to me that the option to update the inventory automatically might be better left on the 'job template' configuration. This way, the update of the inventory could me performed only when necessary (like when provisioning a new host) and skipped when it might not be needed. Is there any way to accomplish this? As an aside, Updating the Ansible Playbook via SCM has a similar issue: auto update is a 'Project' option instead of a 'template' option, but only takes a few seconds so is not really an issue for me.

Responses