Cannot connect to internet

Latest response

Hello, I installed Oracle Virtualbox 6.1 and used Redhat to create a virtual computer. I am trying to access local files and went about it by specifying shared folders within the Virtualbox but I don't know how to access them through redhat. So instead i emailed a folder to myself so that I can access the files through the internet, but when I open the Firefox I am greeted with the "hmm we are having trouble finding the site".

I am bran new to this so please be explicit with what I am to run etc.

Thanks in advance.

Responses

Hi Michael,

You have to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions in your virtual RHEL machine, afterwards reboot the virtual system. That's all ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I have nearly figured it out but when doing the installations, it keeps failing on one dependency. This is what I am getting on the terminal when I run the following:

[root@localhost Packages]# rpm -ivh annobin-8.90-1.el8.x86_64.rpm

warning: annobin-8.90-1.el8.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID fd431d51: NOKEY error: Failed dependencies: (gcc >= 8 with gcc < 9) is needed by annobin-8.90-1.el8.x86_64

It seem like I have the wrong file? Strange how all the other installations executed fine. Thank you, Michael

Hi Michael,

You are trying to install a version that matches RHEL 8.2 Beta. And why rpm -ivh ? Use dnf :

sudo dnf install annobin ... this will install annobin version 8.78 matching RHEL 8.1 ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for your reponse :)

The problem is that I did install RHEL 8.2 Beta which is what is making this very confusing. Maybe the issue isn't with the annobin file but the gcc I have installed? Not compatible perhaps? The gcc file is: "gcc-8.3.1-5.el8.x86_64.rpm" and the annobin file is: "annobin-8.90-1.el8.x86_64.rpm"

Regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

Aha ... RHEL 8.2 Beta ... Please do not forget one thing : This is pre-release software meant to be
used for testing purposes. So such issues like the one you are talking about have to be expected.
Most certainly that issue will be resolved when the final version of RHEL 8.2 has been released. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Oh right that might be the reason why it's not running properly. So would you advise to delete everything I have relating to RHEL 8.2 and download and install RHEL 8.1?

Thank you, Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes, I recommend to remove everything related to the beta and install the stable RHEL 8.1 edition. :)

Un-register the RHEL 8.2 Beta system :

sudo subscription-manager remove --all
sudo subscription-manager unregister
sudo subscription-manager clean

Now you can delete the VM (if you want).

Download RHEL 8.1 -> Download Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Install the system -> RHEL 8 Installation Walkthrough

Register the new system :

sudo subscription-manager register
sudo subscription-manager refresh

Search for the matching Pool ID :

sudo subscription-manager list --available

Attach the system to the subscription :

sudo subscription-manager attach --pool=<Pool-ID>

Regards,
Christian

Hi Michael,

Regarding the title of your post ... did you by chance forget to configure "automatically connect" in Anaconda (installer) ?
If you did forget - many (new) users do - enable networking in the GNOME system settings, I assume you have a GUI ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Michael,

Keep the good points that my friend Christian as suggested earlier.

I always prefer to configure any virtual systems running on Oracle Virtual-Box with 2 network interfaces. One is configured with 'NAT' and other one as 'Host-only Adapter'. So, the first interface (say for example eth0) is defined to use 'dhcp' as boot protocol & second interface (example: eth1) is defined with static IP address (example: 172.18.1.20 ). The reason why I use this way of configuring network interfaces (eth0 = dhcp, eth1 = static) is to enable me to access internet using eth0 and connect from my host (Windows 10 Laptop) to the VM inside VirtualBox using eth1 interfaces.

In order to connect from your base system (for example Windows OS) to the VM, need to define a static IP for the interface 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network' inside 'Network Connections' of Control-Panel. Lets' say that we need to configure the systems to use a static IP (eth1) in the 172.18.1.x range then I'd set the IP address '172.18.1.221' for this from Windows 'Network Connections' window. So, this acts a router to route connections from base system to the VM inside the virtual box. This makes you connect using Putty so that you could work on the system as if it is connected remotely. This also enables you to move/copy files from VM to the guest system and vice-versa using 'WinSCP' application.

Another advantage of setting 2 interfaces one with static IP and other one with dynamic IP is that it makes you to connect to Internet from VM, thus enables you to connect to Red Hat network for enabling subscriptions (assuming that you've active subscriptions from Red Hat). So, this helps you in downloading/installing required packages as well. This is the way I prefer to be done. There are other ways that could be possible as well.

All the best!