openscap-engine-sce package not found during RHEL6.10 to RHEL7.7 upgrade

Latest response

I am doing a RHEL7.7 upgrade from RHEL6.10 following the guidelines from https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/migration_planning_guide/chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_Planning_Guide-Upgrading#migration-installing_the_preupgrade_assistant

While installing preupgrade-assistant, I got an error saying
Error: Package: preupgrade-assistant-2.6.1-1.el6.noarch (rhel-6-server-extras-rpms)
Requires: openscap-engine-sce >= 1.0.8

Where do I get the required package from? How do I troubleshoot the issue?

Below is the log:
[user@rhel6 ~]$ sudo yum -y install preupgrade-assistant preupgrade-assistant-el6toel7
[sudo] password for user:
Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, search-disabled-repos, security, subscription-manager
Setting up Install Process
rhel-6-server-extras-rpms | 3.2 kB 00:00
rhel-6-server-extras-rpms/primary_db | 50 kB 00:00
rhel-6-server-rpms | 3.5 kB 00:00
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package preupgrade-assistant.noarch 0:2.6.1-1.el6 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: openscap >= 1.0.8 for package: preupgrade-assistant-2.6.1-1.el6.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: openscap-engine-sce >= 1.0.8 for package: preupgrade-assistant-2.6.1-1.el6.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: openscap-utils >= 1.0.8 for package: preupgrade-assistant-2.6.1-1.el6.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: pykickstart for package: preupgrade-assistant-2.6.1-1.el6.noarch
---> Package preupgrade-assistant-el6toel7.noarch 0:0.7.9-3.el6 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: preupgrade-assistant-el6toel7-data for package: preupgrade-assistant-el6toel7-0.7.9-3.el6.noarch
---> Package openscap.x86_64 0:1.2.13-2.el6 will be installed
---> Package openscap-utils.x86_64 0:1.2.13-2.el6 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: openscap-scanner(x86-64) = 1.2.13-2.el6 for package: openscap-utils-1.2.13-2.el6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: openscap-engine-sce >= 1.0.8 for package: preupgrade-assistant-2.6.1-1.el6.noarch
---> Package preupgrade-assistant-el6toel7-data.noarch 0:0.20190214-1.el6 will be installed
---> Package pykickstart.noarch 0:1.74.22-1.el6 will be installed
---> Package openscap-scanner.x86_64 0:1.2.13-2.el6 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: preupgrade-assistant-2.6.1-1.el6.noarch (rhel-6-server-extras-rpms)
yum can be configured to try to resolve such errors by temporarily enabling
disabled repos and searching for missing dependencies.
To enable this functionality please set 'notify_only=0' in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/search-disabled-repos.conf

You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
         You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Responses

Hi Anup,

Upgrading from RHEL 6.10 to RHEL 7.7 is a very bad idea ... too many things may break. Please install RHEL 7.7 from scratch. :)
It is definitely not recommended to upgrade from one major edition to the next, so please follow my advice to perform a fresh
installation of the system. If you nevertheless decide to ignore the warning and accept the risks ... a workaround here would be
to uninstall all openscap related packages and try if the upgrade process starts. But again : This is not the way you should go ...

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian!. I appreciate your reply. We are in a process of doing an upgrade in Dev machine and analyze how it goes. Based on that we will decide if it is viable to do in place upgrade or install RHEL7 from the scratch. Thanks, Anup

You're welcome, Anup ! :)

Anup,

I've noticed the openscap website has been down for quite a while (months?). I'm personally curious if they moved somewhere and I didn't "get the memo". However, I see those rpms in the RHEL repos (see below, this post).

You will find that not all rpms go from one major revision to a higher major revision. Case in point, all rpms related to kde will not be in RHEL 8. Another example, no more ntp in RHEL 8, they are using chrony instead as an ntp client. This is just to illustrate how the expectation of certain rpms may have transitioned to a new rpm, or have been eliminated.

Now it does seem like that rpm is in the Red Hat rpm repositories. As a thought you could remove openscap related rpms and then do the upgrade, and then reinstall the openscap rpms.

I can't personally overemphesize the risk involved in doing an in-place upgrade from one major release of Red Hat to another. While it can be done, I'd personally never do it. Christian is correct, a fresh build with Red Hat 7.u would be better. (and for those who land at this post 2 or 3 years later, use whatever the most current supported edition of Red Hat is at that time you arrive here).

See this link https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/openscap-engine-sce/1.3.1-1.el8/x86_64/fd431d51/package which shows packages *(see previous comments I made in this specific post).

Regards, wish you well with this

RJ

Hi RJ,

The OpenSCAP website is down ? I can access it -> https://www.open-scap.org ... :)

Regards,
Christian

You might find that the rpms you are hunting for may install correctly after the fresh build and the repositories are in place. The rpm seems to be in the RHEL 7 channels (see my previous post)

Regards

RJ

Hi RJ,

FYI : The link in your previous post provides packages for RHEL 8 - here is the link to packages for RHEL 7 :
https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/openscap-engine-sce/1.2.17-4.el7/x86_64/fd431d51/package

Cheers :)
Christian

Thank you much Christian! Oddly the link doesn't work for me at work but is fine at home.

Regards

RJ

You're welcome, RJ ! Oh, that is strange, maybe the admins blocked some domains generally ? :)

Regards,
Christian