Kernel rebuild

Latest response

I’ve installed RedHat 8 on my HP AIO PC (intel i5 processor). Everything works fine, with the exception of the RTL wifi card that needs the rt8822be driver (present in staging but not active). I should rebuild my kernel, but I don’t succeed to find a correct howto guide. What should I do to get assistance?

Responses

Hi Giorgio,

A kernel rebuild sounds very dramatic. Does not the supplier have a driver for the card?

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Thanks, Jan Gerrit Kootstra. Can I take from Gentoo the driver /lib/modules/4.19.0-1/kernel/drivers/staging/r8822be.ko and copy it? Eventually, where to copy? This is my lspci: Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822BE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi adapter.

Advise: open a Red Hat support case.

You may also contact HP or RealTek

I am a customer, and cannot say whether or not Red Hat would support your suggestion. I am afraid not, so please open a support case.

I suspect a kernel release mismatch.

Hi Giorgio,

Realtek adapters are normally supported on Red Hat based systems, so it should work out-of-the-box.
I agree with Jan Gerrit : please open a support case, tweaking the kernel may break official support. :)

Regards,
Christian

Filing a support case may be option 1. But it would take some time for RH to provide a solution. Option 2 will be to send a RFE to ELRepo through their bug tracker.

Hi Giorgio,

ELRepo now has the driver for your device in the elrepo-testing repository:

https://elrepo.org/linux/testing/el8/x86_64/RPMS/kmod-r8822be-0.0-1.el8.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

Please test and provide feedback.

Most Realtek adapters are supported on Red Hat based systems, but not all. As regards my wifi adapter Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822BE, in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/ can be found rtl8822befw.bin, but no r8822be.ko.xz can be found in /lib/modules/4.18.0-80.el8.x86_64/kernel/drivers/staging/rtlwifi/. Both are present in Fedora 30. Anyhow, I think that it will be necessary to activate the driver as M or * in the kernel configuration. I'm new in Red Hat use, and I think that I'll be able to file a support case only after my subscription as workstation with profile standard ($299) will be operating. I installed Red Hat 8 five days ago using the free developer way (1 year), then yesterday I bought the subscription, but I don't succeed to join it to my installation. Many thanks for your help.

Hi Giorgio,

Un-register the system, re-register the system and attach the subscription by using the --pool option. :)

sudo subscription-manager remove --all
sudo subscription-manager unregister
sudo subscription-manager clean

sudo subscription-manager register
sudo subscription-manager refresh

sudo subscription-manager list --available
sudo subscription-manager attach --pool=<Pool-ID>

Select the Pool-ID from the new subscription you have bought.

Regards,
Christian

One additional recommendation, Giorgio ... as other repositories will be used - clean up repos and cache. :)

sudo dnf clean all
sudo rm -r /var/cache/dnf
sudo dnf upgrade

Afterwards of course ...

Regards,
Christian