Unable to register during minishift startup

Latest response

Trying to start minishift I gte the following:

-- Starting Minishift VM ................................... OK
-- Registering machine using subscription-manager
Login to registry.redhat.io in progress ..... OK
Registration in progress ... FAIL [6.01s]
Error to register VM: ssh command error:
command : sudo -E subscription-manager register --auto-attach --username stuart_arnell@uk.ibm.com --password ********
err : exit status 70
output : Registering to: subscription.rhsm.redhat.com:443/subscription
HTTP error (401 - Unauthorized): You must first accept Red Hat's Terms and conditions. Please visit https://www.redhat.com/wapps/tnc/ackrequired?site=candlepin&event=signOn . You may have to log out of and back into the Customer Portal in order to see the terms.

This happens whether using virtualbox or hyperkit
I also have two accounts (one personal, one for work) and it happens on both accounts.

I am running under terminal on a mac.

The user-id and password are the ones I use to log on via the RH developer site.

Any ideas appreciated ...
Thanks

Responses

No worries ... found it. Apologies.

Appreciate if you could share the solution with everyone.

HI Stuart,

Glad you got it figured out. Please let us know what the solution was so that if someone else comes hunting in this thread they'll have an idea of what to do,

Thanks for posting here, regards

RJ

I am getting a similar error. Specifically "HTTP error (401 - Unauthorized): Invalid user credentials" To avoid fat fingering, I literally copy and paste the password while using "setx MINISHIFT_PASSWORD ******"

I am able to use the username and password to login to Redhat Developer Program - not sure why that same username/password is not being accepted during the registration process

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best,

SC

PS C:\Users\sudip> minishift start -- Starting profile 'minishift' -- Check if deprecated options are used ... OK -- Checking if https://mirror.openshift.com is reachable ... OK -- Checking if requested OpenShift version 'v3.11.104' is valid ... OK -- Checking if requested OpenShift version 'v3.11.104' is supported ... OK -- Checking if requested hypervisor 'virtualbox' is supported on this platform ... OK -- Checking if VirtualBox is installed ... OK -- Checking the ISO URL ... OK -- Checking if provided oc flags are supported ... OK -- Starting the OpenShift cluster using 'virtualbox' hypervisor ... -- Starting Minishift VM ..................................... OK -- Registering machine using subscription-manager Red Hat Developers or Red Hat Subscription Management (RHSM) username: sudipc Retrieving password from keychain ... OK Login to registry.redhat.io in progress .. FAIL Registration in progress .. FAIL [4s] Error to register VM: ssh command error: command : sudo -E subscription-manager register --auto-attach --username sudipc --password ******** err : exit status 70 output : Registering to: subscription.rhsm.redhat.com:443/subscription HTTP error (401 - Unauthorized): Invalid user credentials

Hello folks,

I did face the same issue and here is the SOLUTION ! I recently created an account and ACCEPTED the terms and conditions when prompted on the site.

while creation of my first minishift vm, I accidentally had input an incorrect password which got stored in my PC. No matter how many times I deleted the VM and recreated it, the (incorrect) password was taken automatically from the system and I could not register subscription-manager.

I tried this and it worked for me: C:\Users\Username>minishift ssh

this will give u access to minishift's SSH console

[docker@minishift ~]$ sudo -E subscription-manager register --auto-attach --username your_username --password your_pass

Registering to: subscription.rhsm.redhat.com:443/subscription The system has been registered with ID: xyz The registered system name is: abc Installed Product Current Status: Product Name: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server

Hope it helps.

Thanks, using the SSH command worked for me. One other gotcha for some folk is that the username is your Red Hat user name, not the email address you log in with.

This did not work for me. I was able to SSH in, and the subscription-manager register command executed cleanly, but I still get "Login to registry.redhat.io in progress .. FAIL" on startup.

RP - when you say "the username is your Red Hat user name, not the email address you log in with" - what do you mean? At least for me, they appear to be one and the same. Even my Red Hat account settings show my email address as my username. (And I am able to do a successful "docker login" for registry.redhat.io using my email address and password - it's only the login during minishift startup that continues to fail.)

If you view your profile page (e.g. click on your avatar to the left here), it should list both your user name and email address, which can be different to each other. For example, I set my user name as my email address without the @gmail.com part.

I'm not Linux-savvy, but what worked for me and what I've seen mentioned elsewhere, using the user name is what's required.

Also, if you do change the stored credential (e.g. the credential stored in bash_profile on MacOS), don't forget to either restart your terminal or reset the session-held credential manually ("source $HOME/.bash_profile").

Ok, that makes sense. For my account, my username IS my email address (also confirmed by the fact that I can docker login just fine, and the automated subscription-manager register during startup also succeeds). For whatever reason, though, the registry.redhat.io login just continues to fail during minishift start no matter what I try.

After going through your messages, I found out that the username is different from the one that I use (my email id) to login to RH site. I was able to register minishift successfully.

I got the username from account profile from following, https://developers.redhat.com/auth/realms/rhd/account/