Issues building a kickstart server

Posted on

Hello,

I am in the process of building a kickstart server to install a bunch of rhel 7 workstations.

The target client appears to be booting correctly to the kickstart server. It gets an ip address, and then I don't see any errors as it loads pxelinux.0, vmlinuz, and initrd.img. It starts unpacking initramfs, and then the screen messages start flying by.

However, I eventually start getting a bunch of "dracut-initqueue 580 warning dracut initqueue timeout" errors, and then a "/dev/root does not exist" error.

I put the entire contents of the rhel 7 install dvd in /var/www/html/rhel7-install, and it is viewable with a web browser over the network.

This is the contents of /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux/pxelinux.cfg/default file:

default Linux
prompt 1
timeout 10
display boot.msg
label Linux
menu label ^Install RHEL
menu default
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img

This is the contents of the /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf file:

#

DHCP Server Configuration file.

see /usr/share/doc/dhcp*/dhcpd.conf.example

see dhcpd.conf(5) man page

#
subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
option routers 10.0.0.1 ;
range 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.200 ;
next-server 10.0.0.1 ;
filename "pxelinux/pxelinux.0" ;
}

initrd.img, pxelinux.0, and vmlinuz are all located in /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux

There are 2 NICs on the kickstart server - one NIC is on a 10.x.x.x network; the other is on a 172.x.x.x network. The 10.x.x.x network is the one that'll be isolated for the OS installs, so that it isn't passing out IP addresses and reinstalling OSes willy nilly.

I don't have an actual kickstart file configured yet. For now I'm just trying to get the client to boot to the rhel installation program first.

Any ideas why it seems to halt before reaching the installation program? I was originally trying with a hard drive that had CentOS 6.9 installed on it, wanting to just overwrite it. Thinking maybe it was choking on the installation that already existed on disk, I tried a fresh, never been used drive too, to eliminate that possibility, but the errors were the same.

Thanks,

PG

Responses