Multiple NICS on hosted-engine

Latest response

Is there a supported method for adding additional network interfaces to the RHEVM virtual machine in a hosted-engine configuration?

In my case it desirable for the engine VM to be accessible via a public network while having a separate private network to carry management traffic. Unfortunately, since the engine VM is not actually managed through the RHEV administration portal, the 'correct' method for making these kinds of modifications is somewhat difficult to define.

This is assuming a RHEV 3.5 installation using RHEL 6.7 hosts.

Responses

I've successfully added a second NIC to my engine VM.

For anyone interested, here are the steps I followed. As far as I can tell, this is as close to a "supported" process as is currently available. There are efforts upstream to make modifying the engine VM more intuitive/straightforward, but for now this will certainly suffice.

Place the engine VM into maintenance mode:

# hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=global

Cleanly shutdown the engine VM:

# hosted-engine --vm-shutdown

Ensure the engine VM is "Down" before proceeding:

# hosted-engine --vm-status

Edit /etc/ovirt-hosted-engine/vm.conf on each hypervisor, duplicating the existing "devices=nicModel" line, and modifying (you can simply increment if necessary) the "macAddr", "deviceId" and "slot" parameters.

Once the changes have been made, start the engine VM again:

# hosted-engine --vm-start

Take the engine VM out of maintenance mode:

# hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=none

This was valid with RHEV 3.5; with 3.6 we moved the VM configuration to the shared storage.

What is the new supported method then?

after rhev 3.6... then you can add/change hw spec in rhev-manager web ui.

for change hosted-engine settings... refer to https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2348341