32 bit PAM package for RHEL 6.5 x86_64, for use with McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise for Linux

Latest response

McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise for Linux requires a 32 bit PAM library to be installed in order to use the web browser functions of McAfee.

I am running RHEL 6.5 kernel 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64

What/where is the 32 bit PAM library that I need to download and install?

yum install pam.i686 gives no results (no package available).

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Responses

Hey Mark, did you get some sort of error when trying to run the app? If it provided a filename/path of a file that is missing, you can run

yum whatprovides /usr/lib/libstdc++.so
# or...
yum whatprovides */libstdc++.so

I assume it probably wants compat-libstdc++-296 or compat-libstdc++-33

Thanks,

I am something of a newbie regarding rpm and yum,

I found and downloaded pam-1.1.1-20.el6.x86_64.rpm and pam-1.1.1-20.el6.i686.rpm

When I do rpm -i pam-1.1.1-20.el6.i686.rpm gives a number of failed dependencies,
GLIBC_2.0, GLIBC_2.7, 2.8, 2.9, files like libaudit.so.1 and libc.so.6

Question 1. Which do I want for my x86_64 kernel, i686 or x86_64
Question 2. How can I get yum to 'recognize' this package? Maybe yum will do a better job helping me resolve the dependencies than rpm

Maybe I am missing some other packages required by pam?

The McAfee folks are zero help, they are like 'whats Linux?' lol

Thanks,
Mark

No worries. I'll give a few bits of my own personal advice.
* Always use yum - when you can't use yum, figure out how some way to use yum ;-)
* if possible, use the online repos (provided when you add a subscription to your system)
* if you can't use a repo, I would add your Installation DVD as a repo for installing software

If I am just doing some testing, etc... I might download individual RPMs, but I still use yum

yum localinstall packagename.arch.rpm

The reason I mention having a REPO to install from is yum will figure out the dependencies and also attempt to install them as well.

EDIT: see if this helps
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB73799&actp=LIST

Wow great, thanks James - think I am getting closer to being dangerous :)

That's what we are here for ;-)

Check out the following regarding using a DVD as a repo:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/7227

I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop (v. 6.5 x86_64). The download DVD for this only seemed to include the x86_64 rpms.

I am getting a circular dependency with two 32 bit packages.

glibc-2.12-1.132.el6.i686.rpm requires libfreebl3.so (NSSRAWHASH_3.12.3)

libfreebl3.so is part of nss-softokn-freebl-3.4.3-9.el6.i686.rpm

nss-softokn-freebl-3.4.3-9.el6.i686.rpm requires libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.7)

I just have been hunting around the internet for these .i686 files, because I dont know the official place to find them, nor how to install all of them as a complete repository using yum.

Thanks,
Mark

(not sure how to edit a previous post)

I am incorrect, all the .i686 packages seem to be on the DVD.

My question is, (remember I am very inexperienced),

how do I install the glibc and nss-sofokn-freebl packages for i686 directly from the DVD using yum,
and how do I 'convince' yum that all the package dependencies are available there?

Better yet, can I just install ALL of the i686 packages at once and be done with it? Currently,
yum list | grep i686
gives no output (i.e, no i686 packages have been installed, even with all my attempts).

Thanks again,
Mark

To edit a previous post, there should be a small "pencil" in the upper-right corner of your previous post (once you are logged in). However, the edit might not be noticed by others.

In regards to installing the package you need and include the all the dependencies, I would either register your host to updates (which will add the appropriate REPOs) or add the DVD as a REPO. https://access.redhat.com/solutions/7227

Insert your DVD (or mount the ISO) and follow the direction in the link above. I would not simply install all the i686 packages. Doing so may cause some dependency issues down the road (I'm not positive about that though).

If you don't add the DVD as a REPO, you could
* mount the DVD
* cd to the DVD directory
* yum localinstall

To be perfectly candid, my order of preference would be
* register to RHN (to get packages and receive updates)
* add the DVD as a REPO using an ISO image
* add the DVD as a REPO using the actual DVD (in the drive)
* add the packages from the DVD by cd'ing to the directory

Thanks.

I was able to (amazingly) just use the File Browser, go to the Red Hat DVD directory Packages, double click the
specific i686.rpm file(s) I wanted to install , and it prompted me to Install. The Install was able to identify the dependencies and also install them.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks again , very much appreciated.
Mark

Ha - I guess sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution ;-) Nice work and thanks for updating the thread with the resolution!