Red Hat Satellite 5.7 Documentation Released

Latest response

Hi folks,

We've released the documentation set for Satellite 5.7. There have been a number of documentation changes since Satellite 5.6 that I want to highlight.

Firstly, there is new content for a bunch of new features. I've included a high-level list in the Release Notes for 5.7.

We've also restructured some of the documentation to help clarify certain processes.

I'm also looking to improve our Satellite 5.7 documentation suite over time so please feel free to let me know if you've got any suggestions for improvements or if you hit any roadblocks while following certain procedures.

Sincerely,
Dan Macpherson

Responses

Nice to see spacecmd made it in, and the updates to clone-by-date.

Very glad to see that... Apparently satellite 6 will have "hammer" replace "spacecmd", haven't tested it yet

Ha!!! - "hammer" as-in everything is a nail?

Perhaps :)

Hammer is inspired alot by spacecmd.. so

hammer shell 

should feel very familiar. The API and commands are a bit more low level the in 5.7, but anything you can do in the UI you should be able to do from the CLI or the API.

That's one way to look at it. I think it was also because it uses the thor rubygem, which helps you build CLI interfaces.

Hi folks,

Just a quick note regarding the database in Satellite 5.7 based on reports from a couple of customers performing upgrades.

Satellite 5.7 now uses PostgreSQL for the embedded database. As a result, the database location has changed from /var/lib/pgsql/data in Red Hat Satellite 5.6 to /opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsql/data in Red Hat Satellite 5.7. If upgrading, make sure to allocate enough hard disk space to this new location.

I've also updated the 5.7 documentation to include notes in relevant sections (Installation Reqs, Upgrade, Release Notes) regarding this issue.

That's useful to know, thanks Daniel... I will most certainly read the release notes prior to upgrading

Can the install be configured to get PostgreSQL 9.2 storing it's data back in /var/lib/pgsql/data?

I'm downloading all the ISO & channels right now, but have a heavily scripted kickstart to build our 5.4 -> 5.6^H7 migration system. If I can't point PostgreSQL 9.2 back at /var/lib/pgsql, I'll need to revisit the partition table in the kickstart and figure out which part of /opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsql/data I should create as the new partition before the software has been installed.

Hey Duncan,
Are you using SElinux?
I wonder whether the SElinux contexts get updated to allow Postgres to exist in /opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsql/data ? Or if you would have to manually add a context, or do a replication of /var/lib/pgsql

We are indeed, although I didn't think of the contexts initially. Now you point it out, I think it's best not to take chances where SELinux is concerned.
I just find it a bit odd that I've now moved my database location 3 times in 3 upgrades; from the Embedded Oracle directory to /var/lib/pgsql to /opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsql/data. Especially since the last migration was still effectively using the same database software (different version of pgsql notwithstanding).
I'll just change the mount point again. Would have been nice to have allowed the data to stay in the same place when upgrading from 5.6 to 5.7. I can't see my system running any other version of pgsql, so it's not as if there's going to be anything else going into /var/lib/pgsql now.

You raise a good point about the switch in location. Please let us know how it goes Duncan, thanks

Got to say that it looks like Satellite 5.7 was released too early. My issues might only affect Embedded database installations, but so far I've found:
1) database space check still checks the /var/lib/pgsql/data directory rather than the new location
2) PostgreSQL92 not happy creating a database if /opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsql/data is mounted as a partition (as detailed in the Install Guide).
Think I've got past those with 2 workarounds at the moment. Yes - RH Support are aware and both issues raised as internal bugzillas I think. Hopefully I'm in for a smooth ride from here on in!

Update: The workarounds, in case it helps others, are:
1) Use the --skip-db-diskspace-check flag on the install.pl command
2) Create /postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsql as the mount point, then create the data subfolder manually

Now stumped with the inability to run Embedded PostgreSQL unless SELinux is DISABLED. Not permissive - disabled.
Looking good once all that's done, but I'm not in the habit of running production systems with so many workarounds. So it's there for the Admins to have a poke around with for now.
Liking what we see so far...

Hi Duncan,
That sounds unusual. Normally, permissive should have the same effect as disabled, the difference being disable doesn't generate any reports of potential access violations.

In any case, have you tried setting the selinux context on the new mountpoint:

# semanage fcontext -a -t postgresql_db_t '/opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsql(/.*)?'
# restorecon -Rv /opt/rh/postgresql92/root/var/lib/pgsql

Hi Duncan,
Based on one of those BZs, I've modified the mount point in the docs:

https://documentation-devel.engineering.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Satellite/5.7/html/Installation_Guide/Database_Partitioning.html

Thanks for catching this.

Loaded a new satellite server with this version 5.7 a couple of days ago with no issues. Importing channels now, and subsequent configurations...

Good to hear! Let me know if there's any way I can be of assistance.

Also, if you find anything in the docs that might need further elaboration/clarity, please let me know too.

Will do, thanks Daniel

Deleted this comment & moved the satellite 6 comment I had made here to this existing discussion...