Creating Boot Environment in RHEL 7

Latest response

Hi guys,

I read in RHEL7 release notes that you can create a boot environment . Does anyone know how to create boot environments in RHEL 7?

Thanks guys

Arrey

Responses

Hey Arrey - I had not heard/seen about Boot Environments. Where did you see that in the release notes (I cannot find mention of it). Solaris had a great implementation of Boot Environments and Live Upgrade, but it took a bit of planning. I'm curious to see if they introduced the same type of functionality in RHEL.

I guess they didn't. I was looking at LVM snapshots instead. Why is RH not rolling this functionally in RHEL? It is pretty cool and saves a lot of headache. From my solaris background, its something handy to have especially when dealing with physical machines.

I agree - Boot Environments were/are pretty tremendous.

That said - I think a person could fairly easily implement their own version of BE's fairly easliy (but with a ton of planning). Live Upgrade, however, would be a bit more challenging I think.

Hi Arrey,

I don't know your particular use case for Boot Environments, but you may be interested in looking at Red Hat Software Collections. Software collections allow for an easy way of installing multiple versions of applications (or even whole development environments) on a single system. The various installed collections do not interfere with the underlying system nor with each other. If you need separate sets of application versions on one system, this can be a very good solution. See the Red Hat Software Collections documentation for more details.

Alternatively, you may want to try Docker RHEL images. Docker allows you to deploy independent containerized apps/systems on a single host. See the Docker FAQ for more on this (there's also a link to RHEL 6 and 7 base images).