Listing upgradeable packages in a hostgroup in Satellite 6.13

Posted on

I've done a good bit of looking around for more answers to this question, but I'm coming up pretty dry. We've recently migrated from Spacewalk to Satellite 6 and one thing that's thrown a wrench into our workflow is the ability to hand pick packages to update on not just one server, but every server in a group.

In Spacewalk/Satellite 5 we had System Set Manager, which could easily give us a page containing all upgrade-able packages for all systems in that set (even some packages that only applicable to one or two servers out of the group)

We could then select that master list of upgrade-able packages across the group of servers and tell it to begin updating servers as appropriate. Is there an intuitive way to do this in Satellite 6? We'd like to say we're in a good enough spot to just hit upgrade on all packages but the reality is, we need to hold some packages back until a specific time, and having to sift through hundreds of servers to curate a complete package list is tedious bordering on untenable.

Right now I'm simply pulling a list from one server and selecting as many packages as I can and running that job against a hostgroup, but unless that server has every upgrade-able package installed on it (which I don't believe we have in our environment), packages will get missed onesies twosies. Any insight would be appreciated.

Responses