RHEL 6.7 Hangs On Boot with USB inserted

Posted on

I'm running into an issue with a fresh install of RHEL 6.7 x86_64 Server. I installed the OS using a DVD, and have successfully booted into the system multiple times.

When I attempt to boot with a USB thumb drive inserted (this happens to be a 2.0 in a 2.0 port), the system hangs during boot. If I press 'esc' during the GUI boot to see the details of booting, I find that the system hangs just after 'Starting certmonger [OK]'.

I've seen some suggestions online about moving the xorg.conf file to old_xorg.conf, but when I switch over to the text side and attempt this, I find that the xorg.conf file does not exist.

Again, I have no issues booting into the system when there is no USB device other than mouse and keyboard. And once booted into the GUI, I can insert USB thumb drives (both 2.0 and 3.0) and use them normally. I have reproduced this issue on a separate hard drive, clean install of RHEL 6.7 as well. I'm using the GNOME desktop.

I'm not terribly familiar with inspecting diagnostics and troubleshooting Linux, so if there are specific logs or messages that would be helpful, please let me know so I can provide them.

Responses