Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5 or above
Samba3x (latest update 3.5)
- Windows XP SP2
- Changing printers preferences for printers shared via a Samba/Cups print Server in Windows client side are not being saved.
The following documentation says that there is only one correct way to do it in order to maintain it persistent (saved in samba .tdb):Print Options for All Users Can't Be Set on Windows 200x/XP
You must use the following sequence to get the changes saved:
1. On the Windows client machine, open the Printers folder.
2. Right-click on the printer (remoteprinter on cupshost) and select the context menu Properties.
3. Click on the Advanced tab. (If everything is “grayed out,” then you are not logged in as a user with enough privileges).
4. Click on the Printing Defaults... button.
5. On any of the two new tabs, click on the Advanced... button.
This solution is part of Red Hat’s fast-track publication program, providing a huge library of solutions that Red Hat engineers have created while supporting our customers. To give you the knowledge you need the instant it becomes available, these articles may be presented in a raw and unedited form.