Running tcpdump in a VM improves performance of scp transfers
- When tcpdump is running in a KVM VM and then a transfer with scp is performed the performance is double that found when tcpdump is not running.
- Does not matter if tcpdump is run with promiscuous mode on or off (-p).
- Turning on promiscuous mode but not running tcpdump does not increase performance.
- Only affects scp. Transfers with dd and netcat are always just as fast as the performance found when running scp with tcpdump.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
- HP ProLiant DL580 G7
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase, tools, and much more.