Questions on best practices using aide

Latest response

Hi Everyone,
(updated 12/23/2014 to fix a typo)

I have been using aide for a bit, and am searching for best practices using aide *(such as this RH Solution ID 55021)*, and would like to see if anyone has any recommendations for what they found as a best practice.

Some questions:
1) What are people's best practices
2) Omitting directories/mount points so aide does not hit Storage Area Network or Network Area Storage (SAN or NAS). (especially when a number of systems have that SAN/NAS mounted)
3) Disabling prelinking? (see reference below)
4) Periodicaly executing aide because it does not do so by default
5) Does anyone have ideas regarding or beyond the above topics? open to ideas/suggestions...

• My own thoughts on Question number 2
    I have added a few lines to my /etc/aide.conf file to (I believe) stop aide from reviewing my Storage Area Network (SAN) (i put some comments in the solution id above.)
# egrep -A 3 'my/san' /etc/aide.conf
!/path/to/my/san
!/path/to/my/nas
!/path/to/my/iscsi/if/applicable
  • While not a Storage Area Network, perhaps tell aide so it does not hit directories that frequently change such as:
!/var/log.*
!/var/spool/.*
  • Prelinking question number 3

• Does anyone shut off prelinking for the sake of aide?

• According to this source, it recommends disabling prelinking because "The prelinking feature changes binaries in an attempt to decrease their startup time. In order to disable it, change or add the following line inside the file /etc/sysconfig/prelink :"

• That guide in the link above recommends "PRELINKING=no" in /etc/sysconfig/prelink .

# grep ^PRELINK /etc/sysconfig/prelink # default is yes
PRELINKING=yes  # guide above recommends "no"
PRELINK_OPTS=-mR
PRELINK_FULL_TIME_INTERVAL=14
PRELINK_NONRPM_CHECK_INTERVAL=7

Next, after changing the PRELINKING=yes to PRELINKING=no, it recommends runing the following command to return binaries to a normal, non-prelinked state:

# /usr/sbin/prelink -ua

There is a remediation script at the same link that is about 12 lines long that is intended to disable prelinking altogether.

• My own thoughts on Question number 4
  • We keep a copy of the original database for aide for each system in a separate location off of the system and another location.
  • We periodically check aide with a cron.
  • We keep a copy of the md5sum of the database, including the one stored above.
  • We Manually Verify Integrity of AIDE

Caveats
- AIDE will not solve everything - this is true of most intrusion detection systems; however, it can certainly help shorten the investigation time during incident response by focusing in on the files that have been changed. It may also be useful if an authorized administrator has implemented changes that did not go as planned.

A few last questions:
- Does anyone have any other ideas/best practices for using aide?
- What are people's thoughts about shutting off prelinking especially in regards to aide?
- What about causing aide to not search autofs mounts? My inclination is to stop aide from searching autofs mounts.

Thanks and appreciate any input...

Responses