IE11 breaks the RHEV SPICE console and other SPICE issues

Latest response

SPICE consoles don't work with IE 11. Select your virtual machine, right-click and select Console and... nothing happens. Remove IE 11 and SPICE consoles work again with IE 10. This is written up in bugzilla number 1022857, but the writeup is only available internally to Red Hat so the world doesn't have an ETA for a fix.

This article:
https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/546623

also acknowledges the problem and that it's not fixed yet.

My other SPICE issue is, I run RHEV-M for several customers across the Internet over a VPN. I don't remember this behavior earlier, but it seems with RHEV 3.2 and IE10, when I try to grab a console session over my VPN, the process is very slow and clunky. Grab the console the first time and a few minutes later, a popup comes up asking if I want to install the SPICE add-in. Wait another few minutes and try it again, and another few minutes later, it tells me it's installing the SPICE add-in. But it doesn't really install it. Wait another few minutes and this time it really does install the SPICE add-in and a few minutes after that, I can acquire the console. This is still helpful for customers 30+ miles away, but I was hoping for something a little more snappy. That 15-20 minute process to get at the first VM console is frustrating. After that initial ugly setup, I can usually get at consoles within 30-60 seconds over the Internet and performance inside the consoles is reasonable, given the bandwidth constraints.

But - why does my browser want to install the SPICE plugin anyway? It's already installed in my browser here from when I do my own RHEV-M for my own setup right here. Why do I need to install SPICE again when I reach out to a customer? And why do I need to try it 3 times before it finally installs all the way? Also, this seems to happen repeatedly. If I VPN to a customer and run RHEV-M from here, I go to all the trouble to set up SPICE. I shut down RHEV-M, maybe boot my PC here after yet another Windows Update, and next time to that customer site, I have to set up SPICE all over again for that specific customer.

Is there something about SPICE specific to each site?

And what's the possibility of supporting SPICE from Chrome and/or Firefox?

thanks

• Greg Scott

Responses