- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
- Red Hat Network (RHN) Classic
- How to subscribe/unsubscribe a system to a child channel using Red Hat Network (RHN) Classic?
- How to subscribe/unsubscribe a system to a sub-channel or a child channel using Red Hat Network (RHN) Classic?
- How to subscribe/unsubscribe a system to a child channel such as
Red Hat Network Toolsfor RHEL Server?
- How to subscribe/unsubscribe a system to a child channel through command line?
- Use the following steps to add child channels such as 'RHEL Server High Availability', 'Red Hat Application Server', 'Red Hat Cluster Suite', 'Red Hat Developer Suite', 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES/WS' Extras, or 'Beta' channels.
Via RHN Classic Portal
Log in to RHN
View the list of Registered systems on RHN Classic
Click on the desired system's name to view its system profile
Click on the "Alter Channel Subscriptions" link under "Subscribed Channels", on the left side of the page
To subscribe or unsubscribe child channels associated with this system, check or uncheck the boxes next to the desired channels, and click the "Change Subscriptions" button.
Via Command Line Utility
- To add a child channel to server,
rhn-channel -a -c <channel-label>
- For example, to subscribe rhn-tools-rhel-x86_64-server-6 to the base channel
rhn-channel -a -c rhn-tools-rhel-x86_64-server-6
- To verify that the child channel is now associated with the system, run the command up2date --show-channels (for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and earlier) or yum repolist (for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and later) on the system.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4and earlier:
# up2date --show-channels rhel-i386-as-3 rhel-i386-as-3-extras rhel-i386-as-3-cluster rhel-3-as-i386-rhaps-1 rhel-3-as-i386-rhds-2
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5and above:
# yum repolist repo id repo name status rhel-x86_64-server-5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 for 64-bi enabled : 6,731 rhel-x86_64-server-f RHEL FasTrack (v. 5 for 64-bit x86_64) enabled : 3 rhel-x86_64-server-v RHEL Virtualization (v. 5 for 64-bit x86 enabled : 168 rhn-tools-rhel-x86_6 Red Hat Network Tools for RHEL Server (v enabled : 385
If the system profile is not visible in Red Hat Network, see I have registered a system to
Red Hat Network (RHN), but I can't find it under the "Systems" tab after logging in.
For systems using
Red Hat Subscription Manager (RHSM)instead of Red Hat Network Classic, see How do I enable a repository using Red Hat Subscription Manager (RHSM)?.
Child channels will only be available based on active subscriptions in the account. Refer to the Channels tab to list software channels currently available to the account.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Learn more
This solution is part of Red Hat’s fast-track publication program, providing a huge library of solutions that Red Hat engineers have created while supporting our customers. To give you the knowledge you need the instant it becomes available, these articles may be presented in a raw and unedited form.