RHEA-2009:1270 - Product Enhancement Advisory
libvirt-cim bug fix and enhancement update
Product Enhancement Advisory
An enhanced version of libvirt-cim which provides support for the KVM-based
virtualization in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 is now available.
The introduction of KVM virtualization in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4
required that libvirt-cim be rebased and updated to support the new
hypervisor. Libvirt-cim is a CMPI CIM provider that lets you manage
multiple platforms and provides support for some libvirt features.
This package applies the fix for the following bug:
- libvirt-cim would generate an incorrect boot tag for fully virtualized
Xen guests, which would cause a 'Missing boot device' error. Boot tags will
now generate in the form
instead of hd, and
guests will be able to start normally. (BZ#503724)
This package also adds the following enhancements:
- KVM virtualization in Red Hat Enterprise Linux, as mentioned above,
requires an updated version of libvirt-cim to support the new
hypervisor. libvirt-based CIM providers have been updated to enable
support for third-party system management tools for Xen and KVM.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 introduced higher permission sensitivity to
directory creation when installing packages. When the root's umask was
changed prior to installation, and a package did not explicitly define
directory permissions for a file, the installer would create directories
based on the umask of the user who ran the installation. This could result
in an 'Unowned Directory' error. libvirt-cim now includes full permission
information, so directories are set up correctly during installation.
All users are advised to upgrade to this enhanced package, which resolves
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5 i386
- BZ - 474681 - [LTC 5.4 FEAT] libvirt based CIM providers for virtualization 
- BZ - 503724 - Xen Fully Virt domain may not start
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 5