RHEA-2005:454 - Product Enhancement Advisory
Updated gnome-panel and metacity packages
Product Enhancement Advisory
Updated gnome-panel and metacity packages that enable the window manager to
ignore partial width panels are now available.
The GNOME panel provides the window list, workspace switcher, menus, and
other features for the GNOME desktop.
Metacity is a simple window manager that integrates with GNOME 2.
These updated packages allow the window manager to detect when a panel does
not occupy the full screen width or height.
A new GConf configuration key (ignore_partial_width_struts) has also been
added. When this key is set to "true", metacity will not prevent the user
from moving windows into the screen area reserved by the partial width
panel. The full GConf key name for the preference is:
Future releases of gnome-panel and metacity will make this configuration
This update also fixes a crash at login when root's home directory is set
to "/", rather than "/root". Note, however, that it is not recommended to
log in to X as root, or to configure the system such that root's home
directory is "/".
All users of gnome-panel and metacity should upgrade to these updated
packages, which include this enhancement.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied. Use Red Hat
Network to download and update your packages. To launch the Red Hat
Update Agent, use the following command:
For information on how to install packages manually, refer to the
following Web page for the System Administration or Customization
guide specific to your system:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 3 i386
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 3 s390
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 3 ppc
- BZ - 111244 - gnome-panel crashes on root X11 login
This erratum does not contain any packages.