RHBA-2012:0521 - Bug Fix Advisory
kernel bug fix update
Bug Fix Advisory
Updated kernel packages that fix one bug are now available for Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5 Extended Update Support.
The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux operating
This update fixes the following bug:
- Prior to this update, The kernel attempted to log a message when a leap second
was inserted or removed. As a consequence, a deadlock on xtime_lock could occur
on kernel versions prior to 2.6.29. This update modifies the underlying code so
that leap seconds no longer cause a deadlock. (BZ#801794)
All users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix this bug
and add this enhancement.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata relevant
to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to use the Red
Hat Network to apply this update are available at
To install kernel packages manually, use "rpm -ivh [package]". Do not use "rpm
- Uvh" as that will remove the running kernel binaries from your system. You may
use "rpm -e" to remove old kernels after determining that the new kernel
functions properly on your system.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - AUS 5.3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - AUS 5.3 ia64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server - AUS 5.3 i386
This erratum does not contain any packages.